Without a doubt, the Serengeti is one of the most popular regions in Africa. With its unspoiled wilderness and breathtaking landscapes coupled with the vast concentrations of wildlife present in the area, there is simply no other place in the region that can rival its natural splendour. So, whether you are planning to go on an African safari holiday with the whole family or simply want to experience the thrill of going on a honeymoon safari with your significant other, the Serengeti is definitely the place to be.
Getting to Know the Serengeti: Basic Facts and Figures
The Serengeti National Park officially encompasses about 5,700 square miles and is adjacent to several other tourist destinations such as the Maasai Mara Game Reserve and the Ngorongoro conservation area, a UNESCO Heritage Site. As a whole, the Serengeti greater ecosystem covers more than 10,000 square miles or roughly about the size of Massachusetts.
The park is divided into three regions – the Serengeti plains, the Western corridor and the northern part of the region. The Serengeti plains is the best place to see the wildebeests and other hoofed animals while the swampy Western corridor is home to the Nile crocodiles, martial eagle and colobus monkey. The bushy savannah of Northern Serengeti, on the other hand, is where you will find the elephants, giraffes, and dik-diks or small antelopes. The park is also home to the “Big Five” – namely the lions, African leopards, elephants, rhinoceros and buffalo.
Most importantly, the Serengeti is widely known for Africa’s “Great Migration” or the regular migration cycle of great herds of wildebeests, zebras and gazelles in search for greener pastures. So, if you want to witness this natural wonder, there is really no other place that you should visit but the Serengeti.
Why Go on an African Safari Holiday in the Serengeti
There are a lot of reasons why you should consider spending your African safari holiday in the Serengeti. Here are some of the most compelling reasons why:
- Get to see large herds of wildlife in action. As mentioned earlier, the Serengeti is the best place for wildlife viewing. It currently serves as home to a wide variety of animals including the “Big Five”, migrating ungulates (hoofed animals such as giraffes, zebras, gazelles, impalas and antelopes), and other interesting wildlife species.
- Enjoy pristine landscapes. Experience the true beauty of nature in its purest sense. A large part of the Serengeti is still relatively untouched so you can absolutely feel the raw and wild power it wields within.
- Experience the thrill of going on a hot air balloon safari. Get to enjoy the spectacular views of the great savannah from a unique aerial perspective.
- Get the chance to explore traditional Maasai culture. Do you want to know how the ethnic Maasai people live? If you want to incorporate a cultural element into your African safari holiday, you can ask your travel company if they can fit in a village visit into your itinerary.
- Enjoy game viewing in comfort. Unlike the hot and humid areas lying in the lower parts of Africa, Serengeti is endowed with a generally pleasant climate with temperatures rarely exceeding 85 degrees.
Taking all these things into consideration, one can safely say that Serengeti is indeed the place to be for a thrilling and memorable African safari holiday.