Packing Clothes for an African Safari Holiday
When you choose to go on an African safari, there are a number of things to plan and consider, one of those considerations being what clothing and equipment you should take. Most safari destinations are quite humid, even if you visit during the rainy season, so it is important to account for the weather in terms of what clothing you should take. But this will also depend on the time of year you visit; it may be warm in the day but chilly at night. Some essential clothing items you need to take include:
- Khaki coloured shorts, t-shirts, fleeces and jackets – khaki, green and light brown are all suitable.
- Sandals, flip slops and comfortable walking shoes/boots
- Underwear including thick pairs of socks
- Hats and/or caps
- Swimming costume
Your safari organiser will more than likely have some of the following supplies at your lodge or camp, but it is worth taking them with you just in case there is a shortage. Other items you will need for personal reasons:
- Insect repellent
- Sun cream
- First aid kit
- Any personal medication
- Wet wipes
- Lip balm and face moisturiser
As well as all this, you will definitely want to take a camera to record all the action on your African safari. This means you’ll more than likely need to take spare batteries, extra memory cards or a battery charger, and any relevant equipment such as a camera bag or tripod. A pair of binoculars is also a handy piece of equipment to take so when you are on game drives and safari activities, you can view wildlife from a great distance.
Important Documentation for your African Safari
It is absolutely vital that you remember all your documentation otherwise you won’t be going anywhere! Put it all into an organizer so you know where it all is and can easily access it before and after flights and when you arrive for your African safari. You will need the following:
- A valid passport
- A valid visa (if necessary).
- Another photo identification (e.g. driver’s licence)
- Photo copy of passport to carry with you
- Flight tickets and boarding passes
- Spending money and travellers cheques
- Travel insurance policy
- Medical insurance card
- A copy of your safari itinerary
As long as you have the above, you will be able to enjoy what is going to be, the best vacation of your life!